Home Based Business

It's smart to start small. Here's what you'll need to know to about operating out of your house in Kennewick.

Note: You may want to check with your title company or review your property deed to see if there are any covenants or restrictions that would limit you from running a business in your home. The City does not possess this information.

Business Licensing

If you plan to operate a business out of your home, you will need to obtain a City of Kennewick business license endorsement if your business meets the Washington State Department of Revenue - BLS registration conditions. 

Home Office
The following business activities are not authorized for a home occupation:
  • Automobile repair or body shop work.
  • Dog kennels or dog boarding.
  • Construction-related heavy equipment. or vehicles
A home occupation may operate from any residential unit, regardless of zoning, if the business complies with the following conditions:
  • Only 4 customer/client visits are permitted per day, by appointment only, between the hours of 8:00 am and 7:00 pm. A client visit may include up to 4 persons arriving in a single vehicle and only 1 client visit on the premises at any one time.
  • No retail sales on premises.
  • No exterior advertising permitted except for a non-illuminated sign, not more than one square foot, attached to the the side of the home or inside of a window. 
  • No structural alterations are permitted to accommodate the business.
  • Entrance to the business must be from within the residence.
  • The use must not occupy more than 25% of the floor area of the residential structure; and any accessory building used in conjunction with the home occupation.
  • The business may be in an accessory building or structure if off-street parking requirements are maintained.
  • During the first 18 months of operation, a home-based business may have one employee in addition to members of the immediate family.
  • No window displays or commodities displayed outside of the building.
  • No materials or equipment which may be detrimental to adjoining residences because of vibrations, noise, odor, or interference with radio or television reception will be permitted.
  • All deliveries or shipments to or from the residence should be done by the business owner except for normal delivery service using delivery vehicles up to 26,000 pounds GVW.
  • No more than two vehicles, related to the business occupation and not exceeding 10,000 pounds GVW, shall be kept on the premises, providing that appropriate off-street parking requirements are maintained.
  • No exterior storage of materials or equipment other than the 2 allowed business related vehicles.