Parks and Recreation Volunteers
Volunteers are the heart of our department. They help keep our parks beautiful and our recreation centers humming with activity. They share their skills, contribute their time, and enhance our lives. Volunteers contribute approximately 25,000 plus service hours each year. Individuals and groups share their talents and expertise by participating in recreation programs, at the senior center or park beautification projects like “Arbor Day,” and numerous other daily activities and special events.
Recreation Program Opportunities
- Coaches: Basketball, Softball, Flag Football, Volleyball, Soccer
- Special Events: Tri-City Recreation Youth Basketball Tournament
- Entertainers: Singers, Musicians, Dancers, M.C.s, Arts and Theater
Contact Greg Sambrano at 509-585-4509
Kennewick Community Center Opportunities
- Travel Guides
- Service Providers
- Special Events Assistance
- Folding the Bimonthly Newsletter
- Activity hosts and hostesses
- Front desk/Office assistance
- Instructors to teach crafts, seminars, etc.
- Kitchen help - food serving/dining room help, meal delivery drivers (Meals on Wheels)
Contact Sara Allington at 509-585-4345
Parks and Facilities/Current List of Projects
- Landscape areas – roses, tree planting, shrub trim or removal, weed/vegetation removal, debris removal, turf/sod prep, spread rock/bark
- Arboretum Park parking lot landscape/roses weed/vegetation removal.
- Park facilities – painting restrooms, graffiti removal, playground fall material spreading, bench install, picnic shelter painting, kiosk cleaning, cedar or chain-link projects
- Underwood Park - paint men's and women's restroom interior.
- Vancouver Park - paint men's and women's restroom interior.
- Fruitland Park - paint men's and women's restroom interior.
- Columbia Park 20 acres - paint men's and women's restroom interior.
- Southridge Sports and Events Complex landscaping.
- Trails and paths – Bridge crossings for trails, vegetation cleanup, garbage & debris cleanup, trail and path retaining walls, fill with wood chips, graffiti removal
- Zintel Canyon garbage/debris removal along walking path.
- Garden Areas – Rose garden seasonal cleaning and maintenance, border install, mechanical weed control
- Play structures skate parks – graffiti removal, garbage clean up, painting of ramps
- Civic Center Skate Park cleanup, graffiti removal and painting.
Contact the Parks & Facilities Supervisor at 509-585-4398 for project details.