Step 2: Apply for Building & Public Works Permit

What Do I Need to Provide a Complete Submittal?

(Note: Some plans or calculations may not always be necessary. You should contact the Building Safety Division for more specific information.)

Items to Include

Generally, an application for a building permit includes:
  • A complete New Single Family Residential application (PDF)
  • 1 plot plans (1 inch = 20 feet scale) showing location of sidewalk, face of curb, proposed curb cut and sewer / water services must be shown on plot plan. Standard Residential Setback Requirements (PDF)
  • Compliance with 2012 Washington State Energy Code including extra credit option
  • 2 sets of plans with the following information:
    • Building elevations
    • A foundation plan
    • A floor plan - rooms labeled
    • Cross - section showing foundation (stem wall or monolithic) floor joists, wall framing and ceiling joists
    • Stairway detail (headroom, rise/run and handrail detail) if applicable
    • Braced wall panel locations (interior and exterior)
    • Truss reactions and truss layout

When I Submit My Building Plans & Forms, Will I Need to Pay a Plan Review Fee?

No. We do not collect any fees at the time of submittal.

Where Do I Submit My Building Plans & Forms?

Building and Development Services
City Hall
210 W 6th Avenue
Kennewick, WA 99336

What Can I Do to Ensure My Building Permit Application is Processed as Timely as Possible?

Providing a complete submittal is the best way to be sure that your application will be processed in a timely manner. Please make sure all the items on the checklist are on the plans. This ensures that the Building Department has all the information necessary to complete the plan review in a timely manner, usually within 10 business days!

A common item that is often not provided on the application is the parcel number / tax ID number. If you do not know your parcel number / tax ID number, you can look it up on the Benton County Assessor's property search website.