Become a Firefighter

Start a Rewarding Career Today!

Does the idea of bringing solutions to others problems, being respected for what you do and what you stand for excite you? If you answered yes, then firefighting may be your true calling and you have just begun the journey of a lifetime.

BC VanHorn_Crew
  1. WHY KFD?
  2. Qualifications
  3. Testing Info

Why Work for the Kennewick Fire Department?

Kennewick firefighters have a passion to make a difference in their community by helping the people who need it the most.  Working as part of a unified team, our men and women respond to all types of calls including medical emergencies, vehicle extractions, structure fires, hazardous materials releases, technical/rope rescues, and much more – no two days are the same.  We strive to cultivate a work environment that inspires staff to continuously learn and grow that supports the health and wellbeing of our workforce.

Thank you Kennewick firefighters!  Citizen Thank You Video 

Kennewick firefighters also receive excellent compensation and benefits: 

  • Competitive compensation – Kennewick firefighters earn $74,000 per year with no experience and $97,000 after completing their three-year training program; paramedics earn an additional $12,000 per year.
  • Work/life balance – Kennewick firefighters work 108 shifts per year, and new firefighters receive 12 hours of vacation leave per month in additional to paid time off for sick leave.
  • Health insurance – Kennewick firefighters have low deductible health insurance for themselves and their families and only pay 5% of the cost; the City pays the remaining 95% and provides vision and dental benefits at no cost to employees.
  • Health and Wellness – Kennewick firefighters have access to fitness facilities in every fire station, and receive one hour per shift to engage in physical fitness while on duty.                        
  • Retirement benefits – Kennewick firefighters participate in the Washington State LEOFF retirement/pension system, and the City provides an additional 5% of employee wages into retirement accounts with no match required.
  • Professional development – Kennewick firefighters receive rigorous on-the-job training and professional development and have the opportunity to train to become company officers.

Do you have questions about the civil service process or the eligibility list?

Email your civil service questions here:

About the Kennewick Fire Department

The Kennewick Fire Department (KFD) is the largest department and runs the highest call volume in the Tri-Cities region.  In 2021, KFD responded to more than 12,000 calls and approximately 71% were calls for trauma and medical emergencies.  KFD employs 91 firefighters, including 31 firefighters who are also paramedics.  KFD currently operates out of five fire stations strategically located to maximize coverage throughout the 29.2-mile jurisdictional area that KFD protects.

KFD is highly regarded in the community for its organizational integrity and the quality of services provided. KFD continues to proactively build and develop community-based programs designed to prevent and minimize the impacts of existing hazards, such as wildland urban interface fires and apartment complex fires.

The City of Kennewick’s population continues to be one of the fastest-growing cities in Washington State, and it’s expected to grow by another 25% over the next 20 years.  In 2022, KFD completed a strategic plan that will be used to guide the department for the next four years, and will be completing a standard of coverage in 2023 to find sustainable ways to deliver fire and emergency medical services in a rapidly growing community. 

The Kennewick Fire Department is growing!  KFD Station 1 Groundbreaking Video

About the City of Kennewick

Located along the shores of the Columbia, Yakima, and Snake Rivers in southeastern Washington, Kennewick is a growing community of over 80,000 residents that enjoy 300 days of sunshine per year. Kennewick, along with the neighboring cities of Richland and Pasco, comprise the Tri-Cities metropolitan area with a population of nearly 275,000 residents. 

Kennewick is the largest of the Tri-Cities and is a regional shopping and entertainment hub. In addition, it is an outdoor recreational paradise. Kennewick offers breathtaking parks, a vibrant downtown area, upscale dining and retail, art galleries, antique shops, and a variety of entertainment values. The Tri-City area also boasts more than 200 wineries and microbreweries within a 50-mile radius, producing some of the finest wines in the country. 

Learn more about the Tri-Cities region! Visit Tri-Cities Website